Monday, May 7, 2012

Debutante Notes: The First Haul

{Location: Orange County Great Park Antique Market in Irvine, CA}


Yesterday, my sister and I went to the monthly antique market in Irvine. I was determined to find some great stuff for Renee's debutante. It's slowly approaching and I have to get a move on for creating the 1940s vintage aeronautical/nautical decor!

I had a couple of things on my list that I for sure needed to get. But....it didn't quite work out that way. Some of the things I wanted, I didn't see or it was WAY too overpriced. Thank goodness my sister was with me today! I'm still a bit new to this antiquing thing and I needed her input as far as items that were worth getting and weighing out the prices.
{Side Note}
I found this book as I was perusing around. I too will be creating a great waltz for Renee's court (definitely a more updated version of the traditional waltz)

{Tidbit Fact}
I have been choreographing modern cotillion waltzes for debuts since 2002.

I was able to find some really great things that I feel can be used and incorporated into the theme. I bought two globes- one that looked a bit more nostalgic and another one that had a vintage flair to it. I plan on using the globes as the main decor for the head table, in addition to whatever else I come up with. I feel they tie in nicely with the aeronautical navy theme. I also bought various types of pillars. I'm going to paint them over with white crackle paint to give it a worn in look. I intend  to use these as the bases for the centerpieces.

I bought these satchels from one of the vendors there. These fruit satchels were from the 1940s/50s! How cool is that? He told us a pretty interesting fact about them too. Up until the 1950s, satchels like these were made from sturdy fibrous thread material. After the 1950s, production switched to using plastic. So, thread fibers no more...I plan on using the satchels for the head table as well.
{Side Note}
After the debut, I'm definitely going to buy the fruit satchels off of my cousin and keep them for my own inventory :)

I also bought four huge burlap sacks. These I intend to use as the platform for the centerpieces on each guest table. It'll definitely enhance the nostalgic feel of the theme...and I couldn't help but get the little fighter jet there :) Remember, it's all in the little details. By no means am I done with hauls for the debut, I'm just getting started!
 I am SUPER happy with this first haul! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment