Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Debutante Notes: Crackle Me Up

I started working on Renee's centerpieces today. I decided to paint the pillars first, since I was itching to use the crackle medium already. So I got my materials and set up in my backyard. It was such a nice day outside....got the pool waterfall trickling, the breeze blowing, music playing...ahhhh, perfect :)
[Materials]: paintbrushes of varied sizes: 1 pack for $4.99//acrylic paint in titanium white &
raw umber: 3 for $9//crackle medium: 1 bottle for $5.99//distressed ink in red brick: $3.99
[All materials purchased from Michael's Arts & Crafts Store]

I bought varied candle pillars from an antique market & a thrift store in Irvine (for more details on that please read Debutante Notes: The First Haul from an earlier May post). I applied a base coat of raw umber on the pillar (which was originally painted in gold) and then let it dry completely. I then applied the crackle medium and let that dry for about 10 minutes. For the top coat, I used titanium white. I needed to do this in contrasting colors so that the crackle effect would be clearly visible. 
{Side Note} Two finished pillars for today. I can only do so much with these two hands of mine.

Once I started to apply the titanium white paint, the "crackling" began within seconds! It was SO cool! Desired effect? YES! It was perfect. The pillar is exactly what I had envisioned :)
{Love} This will tie in perfectly with Renee's 1940's vintage theme.

Two pillars down...9 more to go. I will say this though, I tried a sample of the crackle effect on a metal pillar (we have 3 metal pillars so far) and I'm not sure if it'll turn out the same way as these wooden pillars. I'll have to play around with it some more and figure it out as I go :)
{Love} White roses in bloom! 

2 comments:

  1. You didn't wrap this post in a sigh! lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in case you haven't noticed...I've made some changes around this here blog of mine ;) I'm over that whole bit! LOL. Movin' on!

      Delete